There's nothing quite like whippin' up some home made treats for your pooch. With this easy, tasty treat recipe from Pretty Fluffy, you'll be giving your fluff face a delicious snack AND a healthy treat all in one. Jackpot.
Did you know that sweet potatoes are one of the top Superfoods for Dogs? Among the highest vegetables on the nutrition scale, sweet potatoes include vitamins A, C, manganese and iron, which are awesome for a healthy coat and immune system. Extra fluffy bonus? The high level of fiber also aids in healthy digestion!
Scroll down and take a peek at this pawsome recipe by Pretty Fluffy!
- 1 Large Sweet Potato
- 1¾ Cups Wholemeal (Whole Wheat) Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Flaxseed Meal
- 1 Free Range Egg (Beaten)
WHAT TO DO:
Preheat oven to 250F, and line a flat baking tray with baking paper.
1. Peel and dice sweet potato into cubes and bring to boil in saucepan of water.
2. Drain sweet potato and allow to cool. Puree in food processor.
3. Combine flour and flaxseed in a large bowl.
4. Beat egg and set aside a small amount (approx. 1 tablespoon) for later.
5. Add sweet potato puree, and remaining beaten egg to dry ingredients. Mix with a wooden spoon until the mixture forms a dough.
6. Take a bit sized piece of dough and roll into a 10 inch tube (about the thickness of a pencil).
7. Take each tube and make into a U shape, twist the ends together and fold back to form the pretzel shape. Ensure the ends of the pretzel are tucked under and secured.
8. Place the pretzels onto the lined baking tray. Using pastry brush, brush the remaining beaten egg lightly on top of the pretzels. Place in the oven.
9. Bake Pretzels for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
10. Cool and serve!
* Makes approximately 20 Sweet Potato Pretzel Dog Treats.
* For dogs with allergies to whole wheat flour, try almond or coconut flour.
* Snag a treat for yourself here.